Israeli forces shot dead a Palestinian suspected of involvement in an attack on civilians on Wednesday, after which an Israeli baby boy prematurely died, causing great excitement.
The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Salah Omar Barghoutzi, was killed while trying to escape during a raid on a West Bank village, the Israeli Internal Security Service Shin Bet said in a statement. An unknown number of people have been arrested.
The announcement of the Shin Bet comes hours after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promised to bring those responsible for the attack to justice. “We lost a few hours ago a newborn. We will find the murderers and we will judge them, “Benjamin Netanyahu told foreign journalists.
Seven people, including a pregnant woman, were injured Sunday by gunfire fired from a Palestinian car at civilians at a bus station near the Israeli settlement of Ofra in the occupied West Bank.
On Monday, the hospital reported that the doctors delivered the baby by cesarean section the mother was only 30 weeks pregnant and that her condition had deteriorated.
Earlier on Wednesday, Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem reported the baby’s death. “With great sadness, we announce the death of the child after the attack, despite efforts to save this premature baby,” the hospital said in a statement.
Absolutely heart-breaking – my thoughts & prayers are with the family of the baby who died today as a result of the despicable terror attack on Sunday. This is an attack Hamas praised as “heroic.”
— Jason D. Greenblatt (@jdgreenblatt45) 12 December 2018
The baby was immediately buried on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. Seriously injured, the 21-year-old mother is in a stable condition, according to the hospital. The lives of other wounded are not in danger either. “This death is heartbreaking,” US Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt wrote on Twitter, calling the attack “despicable.”
The West Bank was, like Israel, the scene from October 2015 and for months of a wave of anti-Israeli attacks most often stabbed by isolated young Palestinians, but also perpetrated in some cases to the ram and, to a lesser extent, the firearm. The violence has decreased significantly but remains sporadic.
Between the West Bank occupied for more than fifty years by Israel and East Jerusalem annexed by the Jewish state, more than 600,000 Israeli settlers lead an often conflictual coexistence with three million Palestinians. Israeli colonization in the occupied Palestinian territories is illegal under international law.
The Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement in power in the Gaza Strip, another Palestinian territory, hailed the “resistance” against Israel after Sunday’s attack. On Tuesday, a Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces near Hebron in the West Bank, during what the Israeli police presented as an attack on the car ram.
After Sunday’s attack, Netanyahu assured that the attackers were trying to push the Israelis out, but would continue to colonize. “We are going to show them that they will not drive us out of our land and that they will come up against a wall,” he said. “As long as I am Prime Minister of Israel, not a single Jew will be driven from his home. Not only will they not be driven out of their homes, but they will build new ones. “